Error - Event ID 2011
Error - Event ID 2011 - "Not enough server storage" or "Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry"
After you install Norton AntiVirus (or IBM AntiVirus 3.01N, in particular Build 301.590), you receive one or both of the following error messages:
Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry.
The problem goes further then error messages - Clients also can't access network shares. Also, Event Viewer on the server computer (the computer with the shares, not the computer trying to access the shares) may have entries for one or more of the following event messages in the system log:
Event ID : 2011
Source : Srv
Description: The Server's configuration parameter "IRPStackSize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please
increase the value of this parameter.
To solve the problem you have to reset the IRPStackSize parameter back to its default value of 15 on the server where the share is. Using Regedit navigate to the following key:
Check for a value named IRPStackSize. If it doesn't exist, create it as type DWORD. With base set to decimal, enter the value 15.
Note: Under Windows 2000, the default value of IRPStackSize is 15, and the range is from 11 to50. Under Windows XP, the default value for IRPStackSize is 15, and the range is from 11 to 50. Under Windows NT 4.0, the default value of IRPStackSize is 0x4, and the range is from 0x4 to 0xC (4 - 12). Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 5 or later ignores values less than 0x7.
Reboot the computer.
This bug is documented at:
This advice applies to the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition